IT Business Systems Analyst
The Business Systems Analyst primary role is to support systems and staff by recommending and implementing system enhancements that promote efficiency, compliance and growth. In addition, the Business Systems Analyst contributes broad experience and a high level of expertise in business processes and system functionality. On project assignments of high risk and complexity, the position leads and directs activities such as requirement definition, research, analysis, testing, training, and documentation.
Acts as the customer / IT liaison during analysis, requirements definition and design activities; maintains an understanding of a broad range of business processes and related systems; provides strategic advice for business processes and solutions; collaborates with business stakeholders to define and document business requirements and with technical staff to develop solution alternatives.
Participates in the Project Management process; understands and applies the system development methodology; contributes to project deliverables including vision documents, status reports, and project, risk, resource and financial plans; communicates status, business impacts and system changes to team members, business partners, sponsors, management and other interested parties; coordinates issues, tracking and resolution.
Manages testing activities for maintenance and project assignments; provides guidance for testing strategies, scope and scenarios; reviews and provides advice for testing-related estimates of effort, duration and resource utilization; prepares and reviews test plans; identifies testing risks and contributes to the overall management of project and risk plans; coordinates, manages and participates in complex testing efforts.
Provides general customer and IT support for assigned business applications; deals with the most complex system problem logs; works with business and technical staff to perform effective root-cause analysis and resolution; leads implementation support activities; directs and participates in training support activities such as documentation authoring and preparation, training preparation and delivery or follow-up. Gathers, compiles, interprets and summarizes systems and business process changes; maintains system support tables.
This roll will require some weekend migration support, which is about 1-2 times per month.
- 5+ years of progressive Business Systems Analyst experience in an Information Technology environment
- Bachelors Degree in a technical or business discipline
- Project Management and/or Business Systems Analyst Certification a plus
- Insurance industry and/or Insurance Policy Management Applications experience is desired
- Agile experience is a plus
- Ability to estimate, plan, schedule, organize, coordinate, and execute activities.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple assignments and priorities.
- Requires ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to management, team members, business and technology professionals
- Requires ability to analyze complex business problems, propose effective solutions and understand and apply business vision and direction.
- Requires ability to apply broad business knowledge and practical experience to the analysis / solution generation process.
- Requires ability to coordinate system testing cycle, issues tracking and resolution.
- Requires strong coaching, mentoring, training and facilitation skills.
- Requires ability to deliver results on time and within budget.
- Requires ability to be adaptable to a variety of project team roles, such as analyst, tester, documentation writer, trainer, team lead or mentor.
- Requires ability to develop good working relationships with business sponsors, business partners and technical staff.
- Requires a high level of expertise in a variety of application and business areas.
- Requires continuous learning of new skills that add value to projects and assignments.
- Requires thorough understanding of planning, analysis and testing techniques required to support either mainframe or distributed application development.
- Requires proficiency with business system design/ modeling, documentation and analysis techniques, and testing methodologies.
- Requires in-depth knowledge and experience in project management processes, including: project planning and tracking principles; project risk and issues identification, assessment, tracking, and mitigation.
- Requires understanding of capabilities, features and limitations of system development tools.