AVP, Accounting Hub/Rules Engine Lead
Assurant is embarking on a multi-year, multi-phase financial systems and process transformation program. This role will be critical for application design, process transformation, and making recommendations to enhance current state activities related to the Accounting Hub and Rules Engine component of a broader financial systems and process strategy. Specifically, the Accounting Hub/Rules Engine Lead will be the key Finance and Accounting resource leading the Accounting Rules Engine component of Assurants implementation of a market-leading cloud ERP solution and associated financial systems architecture as part of a multi-phased transformation program.
The individual in this role will use their deep accounting and/or actuarial skills, knowledge and prior experiences to lead the design and implementation of an accounting rules engine as part of a new ERP platform. This individual will also identify, make recommendations to senior finance stakeholders, and lead efforts to migrate current processes to the leading practices facilitated by having a modern financial systems platform
Initially, the individual in this role will be responsible for providing functional and financial process leadership to the design and implementation of the new platform and best practice processes. In the future, the role will then assume responsibility for the ongoing management, support, and enhancement of the accounting rule engine related functions, with a focus on continuously identifying, recommending, and executing on opportunities to better streamline and gain efficiencies in the Finance function through leveraging the investment we have made in a new systems platform.
As new functionality and capabilities are added to the financial systems platform, this role will have responsibility for ensuring smooth integration onto the platform and will proactively identify and mitigate any potential risks.
Primary Job Accountabilities /Responsibilities
- Lead efforts within Finance and Accounting to design and implement a best practice automated accounting hub/rules process as part of an overall financial systems platform
- Identify, recommend, champion, and execute on opportunities to enhance existing account rules processes taking into consideration the requirements of the overall Global Finance organization
- Leverage prior Accounting and Finance experiences and expertise to identify, propose, and implement automated solutions and reduce reliance on manual processes, with a focus on prioritizing the remediation of those processes that currently have the most risk and/or inefficiency
- Actively engage and educate business process owners on solution optimization, simplification and standardization capabilities within the new platform through the reference of prior experiences and other relevant use cases
- Serve as a change agent for the Global Finance organization in designing and implementing best/leading practices across Assurant
- Champion efforts to adopt delivered functionality and established practices and resist the need for customizations and off-system work arounds
- Clearly and effectively demonstrate to stakeholders how proposed solutions and workflows will help move the Finance and Accounting function forward towards achieving its goals
- Work closely and collaborate with key Finance and Accounting stakeholders, IT, and third-party consulting resources across various locations to design, test, implement, and support a global financial systems platform, with overall responsibility for leading the Accounting Rules Engine component of the overall program
- Work with stakeholders to understand functional requirements for each area and then develop functional and process solutions in the new tool, while ensuring those requirements are properly understood and communicated to overall program team
- Determine how to best implement functional requirements in financial systems architecture
- Develop creative solutions to effectively meet complex business requirements using delivered functionality
- Work with internal and external auditors to ensure proposed system design, configuration and functionality complies with core control and audit requirements
- Create, deliver, and/or support communication and training activities associated with areas of responsibility
- Ensure program deliverables are completed in accordance with established timelines
- Escalate issues and open items to program management, as appropriate
- Effectively collaborate with workstream leads, program team members, Human Resources, Change Management, Corporate Communications, and other key resources supporting the program
- Responsible for the continuous improvement of billing and collections processes with automation and procedural enhancements
- Lead a team of financial/functional analysts responsible for the implementation and support of the new accounting hub
- Provide thought leadership and direction to team
- Ensure team members have appropriate performance goals and provide ongoing feedback and hold performance discussions on a regular basis
- Effectively, prioritize and assign task and deliverables. Leverage appropriate resources across the Enterprise ensuring collaborative decision making consistent with strategic goals of the Enterprise.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance/Mathematics or equivalent area of study
- CPA, MBA, or Actuarial certification preferred
- A minimum of 12-15 years prior financial accounting/auditing/actuarial/FP&A and financial systems experience
- Prior experience in implementing and managing detailed accounting entries
- Strong data management and analysis skills
- Strong working knowledge of and experience with insurance policy data and attributes
- Strong working knowledge of warranty programs and data elements
- Strong working knowledge of core insurance financial reporting concepts such as earnings, DAC, IBNR, etc.
- Experience with and understanding of the flow of information from various policy/business admin systems to the general ledger
- Strong understanding of multiple bases of accounting (e.g., U.S. statutory, local regulatory, tax, IFRS) and the use of a multi-book ledger environment
- Strong working knowledge of financial and management reporting data needs and reporting requirements
- Strong knowledge of general ledger and accounting principles
- Strong knowledge of working in various currencies across multiple legal entities
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP Financial Reporting, Management Reporting, and Planning/Forecasting Processes
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Strong change management acumen
- Experience in designing and implementing Finance and Accounting process and workflows
- Strong influencing, facilitating and consulting skills in working with stakeholders at all levels in the organization and across departments
- Experience in defining, scoping, and managing technology initiatives from a Finance and Accounting perspective
- Experience in leveraging technology to improve finance processes
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change
- Understanding and experience with international regulatory reporting and payment processes a plus
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience in handling and effectively prioritizing multiple concurrent tasks and meeting strict deadlines
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels within the organization
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with colleagues and business partners
- Must be a team player and able to partner with business, operational, technology, and financial areas
- Ability to lead and motivate teams to reach a common goal
- Advance proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Visio
- Prior experience in Insurance/Financial Services industry a plus
- Previous experience on transformation projects required
Benefits and Value Proposition
- We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), generous paid time off and much more.
- We strive to maintain a professional, yet friendly environment and promote professional and career development for our employees.
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district.