Home Office Counsel, Surety
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT onIDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Liberty Mutual has an exciting opportunity available for a highly qualified, bi-lingual attorney (English and Spanish). The attorney will primarily provide legal services to Liberty's Global Surety underwriters for Latam surety transactions. The attorney will provide legal counsel and risk analysis to both US and LATAM surety underwriters on transactional matters to facilitate international surety business, allowing surety business leaders to make informed business decisions.
- Provide contract and transaction analysis on project and account specific matters, advising on contract and bond provisions, negotiating terms, and drafting documents to support the business needs including reinsurance documentation when applicable. Facilitate indemnity packages by assisting in negotiation and drafting indemnity agreements and related documents, while counseling on related indemnity questions.
- Facilitate the Surety Legal Department's development of appropriate forms and account specific documents, and policy and procedures for their use, including indemnity agreements, international deeds of indemnity, subordination agreements, bonds forms, co-surety agreements, collateral agreements and reinsurance agreements.
- Coordinate with Global Surety's General Counsel as well as other Liberty Mutual legal resources in the US and LATAM to provide support and general corporate legal services to Global Surety as needed. Areas of general corporate legal support include compliance programs, corporate governance, litigation support, marketing materials, producer management, public affairs, reinsurance and underwriting limitations.
- Identify and inform Global Surety underwriters of legal developments and provide guidance on legal trends, statutory/regulatory developments and emerging risk issues. Prepare and deliver presentations/training sessions to Global Surety underwriters and, if applicable, industry organizations with respect to surety legal issues, and also stay abreast of developments in the law.
- Completion of Law School with law practice experience in commercial transactions (usually greater than 8 years), surety transactional experience strongly preferred.
- Business bi-lingual skills (English and Spanish)
- Comprehensive knowledge of surety, contract, and construction law.
- Strong aptitude for complex contract and transactional document review.
- Exercises a high level of autonomy in handling assigned matters and transactional requests.
- Effective bi-lingual written and verbal communication skills.