Bond Manager, Latin America Field Operations
Liberty Mutual Surety™ (LMS) has an excellent opportunity for a Bond Manager with our Latin America (Latam) Field Operations team, based in our Miami Field Office, reporting to the Regional Vice President.
In this role, you will be responsible for managing a team servicing the surety needs of customers across Latin America., enabling the LMS organization to profitably grow in this region.
This includes preparing the budget and business plans, marketing, underwriting, training, monitoring the aligned business portfolio, and coordinating management and administrative functions within the territory and with other Field Offices. You are also accountable for meeting, premium & expense budgets and PTOI goals, as directed by Surety management.
Liberty Mutual Surety, a business unit of Liberty Mutual Insurance, is the #1 Surety in the United States and the largest globally. Conducting business worldwide, through fronting relationships and Liberty-owned subsidiaries, we provide bonds in over 60 countries for construction firms, manufacturers and suppliers, and commercial enterprises on an account and transactional basis. We are committed to building mutually profitable relationships by providing smart business solutions, ease of doing business, and consistent responsive service. Liberty Mutual Surety is dedicated to the communities we serve and highly values a diverse workforce in more than 16 countries.
- Manage assigned staff and expenses to meet business and career objectives, generating consistent profitable growth. Prepares and implements the budget and business plans, expense management and reporting. Participates in annual & strategic business planning process of Surety.
- Accountable for the overall management of the Miami Field Office book of business as well as providing service to other Latam operations. Manage field surety underwriter activities and assist underwriters with respect to technical underwriting issues, meetings with brokers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Responsible for the entire performance management cycle of the designated direct reports. This includes annual and ongoing performance reviews, regular 1:1 and coaching activities. Develops individual performance objectives and development plans and insures alignment with the LMS business objectives. Appraises and evaluates team and individual performances and makes compensation recommendations.
- Initiates and monitors visits to brokers and clients to establish and maintain excellent relationships and obtain the necessary underwriting data. Develop new business and retain existing accounts. Cultivate business relationships through industry related organizations to enhance the image of the Company and to promote marketing effectiveness.
- Promote, initiate and service cross border opportunities throughout the Latam region.
- Continually monitors quality of performance of staff by utilization of a variety of tools, including but not limited to personal observation, surveys, underwriting information audits, and obtaining feedback from internal and external stakeholders. Identifies problems & implements corrective actions where needed. Ultimately responsible for ensuring that new underwriters are trained and supported by experienced underwriters with respect to underwriting issues and meetings with brokers & clients.
- Make sure that those enrolled in the Surety Underwriting Development Program complete all aspects of the curriculum. Ensures underwriting staff receives assigned training as appropriate.
- Manage evaluations and recommendations of credit levels provided to clients and assist underwriters to properly evaluate and select credit risks, while actively participating in underwriting decisions on all major risks. Ensures that new and existing clients/accounts/principals continue to meet underwriting criteria and standards for credit worthiness and technical ability. Monitors utilization, compliance, and accuracy of all relevant IT and Enterprise Risk Management system applications for underwriting, marketing and accounting needs of the Field Office. Monitors claims activities and partners with the LMS claims organization as required.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree typically required. Advanced Degree preferred. Continuing Surety education desired.
- Success driven individual with a minimum of 10+ years of progressive surety underwriting experience. expected, including a minimum of 2 years of proven underwriting management experience, preferred.
- Proven analytical ability to evaluate and judge underwriting risks within scope of responsibility.
- Demonstrated expert-level ability to communicate complex analyses and information, in understandable written and/or oral directives, to other persons in the organization for underwriting or training purposes.
- Thorough knowledge of surety underwriting processes and guidelines, and relevant Latam Surety market
- Must possess following skills, abilities and attributes: strong leadership skills, development of people, strategic thinking, sustained effective portfolio management , communication skills, analytical , results-oriented, collaborative, industrious, innovative, problem-solving, coaching & mentoring , and negotiating skills.
- Fluent in English and Spanish (both verbal and written).
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact successfully with agents, brokers, CPAs, bankers, attorneys, and other stakeholders,. to build and maintain good business relationships. required.
- Position will be considered for Bond Manager I or II based on experience.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That's why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you'll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDG's Insider Pro and Computerworld's 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of America's Best Employers for Women and one of America's Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.