Legal Secretary/Associate Paralegal (Hybrid)
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$55,700.00 - $91,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?This position requires the ideal candidate to provide both secretarial and paralegal assistance in a very challenging insurance defense role and to have prior litigation experience with an understanding of legal terminology, legal concepts and processes. The legal secretarial duties include but are not limited to coordinating and scheduling depositions, hearings, mediations, inspections, Compulsory Medical Examinations, client meetings and other legal events. Additionally, the position includes the preparation of the notices, e-filing, e-service, preparation and service of subpoenas, and data entry. The paralegal duties include but are not limited to assist attorneys and others in case preparation, file management, preliminary legal research, drafting routine documents, pleadings, and motions; and obtaining, reviewing, summarizing all relevant documents, reports, records and other sources of information across multiple lines of business including liability and Workers' Compensation.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
- Compiles and/or drafts legal documents for review and use by attorneys such as routine documents, discovery responses, affidavits, and other routine legal documents.
- Prepares initial pleadings and filings.
- Prepares exhibits and other demonstrative evidence.
- Coordinates requests between multiple parties involved in litigation.
- Subpoenas records.
- Conducts preliminary legal research as necessary.
- Assists attorney in trial as needed
- Captures time and records billable time in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Reviews incoming mail to determine urgency and work with attorneys accordingly to draft and handle correspondence and email
- Acts as a liaison with experts and witnesses in scheduling/coordinating appearances and/or depositions along with documentation retrieval
- Schedule/coordinates depositions, medical examinations and other court designated hearings. Retains court reporters and interpreters, if necessary.
- Maintains attorney calendar as well as maintains diary and tickler dates appropriately. Reviews calendar daily and proactively handle upcoming events and determine dates upon which various pleadings must be served and filed
- Inputs and maintains information into case management system and ensure data integrity
- Assists with projects as requested
- May include all or the majority but not limited to these components
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Paralegal or litigation/claim experience preferred.
- Insurance related experience preferred.
- Basic knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office and PDF Software.
- Advanced interpersonal skills to communicate with court personnel, other attorneys and their staff, clients, witnesses and outside vendors.
- Advanced grammar and writing skills.
- Basic knowledge of general law office procedures and local court/jurisdiction rules and procedures.
- Highly proficient with the usage of a case management system and other software applications such as Microsoft Office.
- Ability to learn proprietary software systems.
- Ability to identify urgency and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Basic research and analytical skills.
- Paralegal Certification from an ABA-Certified program
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or its equivalent required.
- A minimum of 1 years' experience as a paralegal or related work experience; or Bachelor's degree; or a Paralegal Certification from an ABA-Certified program required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.