Senior Legal Secretary
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$54,200.00 - $89,500.00
What Is the Opportunity?Perform a variety of legal secretarial and administrative duties for assigned attorneys, many of which are unique to a legal environment and require a working knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, and processes. Assist with general office support efforts, office administration and perform other duties as requested and assigned. Will serve as a backup to the office administrator as needed for office administration.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
What Will You Do?
- Effectively compose various legal documentation including but not limited to pleadings, discovery, subpoenas and draft correspondence.
- Review incoming mail to determine urgency and work with attorneys accordingly.
- Provide necessary telephone assistance including, but not limited to, answering callers' routine questions.
- Maintain attorney calendar as well as maintain diary and tickler dates appropriately. Review calendar daily and proactively handle upcoming events and determine dates upon which various pleadings must be served and filed.
- Input and maintain information into case management system and ensure data integrity.
- Maintain, organize and index all case files for staff attorneys; file correspondence, pleadings and other documentation in an accurate and timely manner.
- Schedule/coordinate depositions, medical examinations and other court designated hearings. Retain court reporters and interpreters, if necessary.
- Act as a liaison with experts and witnesses in scheduling/coordinating appearances and/or depositions along with documentation retrieval.
- Act as a liaison between client and Staff Counsel office by furnishing and requesting information as needed and assist in completion of administrative reports.
- Assist attorney in trial.
- May assist management in interview process and new hire orientation along with other administrative tasks.
- Conduct training classes, if necessary, in regard to legal procedures or case management system.
- Summarize discovery responses and draft standard discovery motions.
- Conduct preliminary legal research as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Associates Degree or vocational secretarial training desirable.
- Prior corporate experience desirable
- Experience in insurance defense litigation preferred.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills to communicate with court personnel, other attorneys and their staff, clients, witnesses and outside vendors.
- Highly proficient in MS Word, MS Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Highly proficient with the usage of a case management system and other software applications.
- Strong knowledge of trial procedures.
- Strong understanding of legal terminology, local court/jurisdiction rules and adhere to law office procedures.
- Ability to identify urgency and prioritize tasks accordingly.
- Strong strategic thinker and decision maker.
- Practice appropriate office etiquette.
- Ability to manage time and multitask effectively and displays problem solving skills by developing methods or approaches to getting the work done.
- Maintain composure and professionalism under pressure as well as adapt to new situations and changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to operate business machines such as photocopy and scanning equipment.
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or its equivalent required.
- Minimum 6 years experience as a Legal Secretary required, or consistently high level performance.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.